by Angela Stanford
This delicious spread is easy to make and gets rave reviews at holiday parties. Tastes great on whole grain crackers or romaine lettuce leaves. It also makes for a great sandwich spread with veggies and 2oz of lean turkey or chicken or layer the spread on thicker, skip the meat on stack up more veggies between slices of whole grain bread. Packed with protein, healthy fats, omega 3’s, and micro-nutrients not found in commercially processed ketchup or mayo.
1-12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained and patted dry with paper towel
1/4 cup whole wheat cracker crumbs
1 cup walnuts (4 ounces), toasted
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon red-wine or balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1. Add all ingredients to a food processor in order listed
2. Puree until smooth.
Yields 3 cups
- Spread is delicious on whole grain crackers, romaine lettuce leaves toasts or used as a veggie dip
- Spread can be made up to 2 days ahead and chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Use organic ingredients when possible
- For gluten free option, toast a slice of gluten free bread, cool and crush into small breadcrumbs or crush up gluten free crackers between sheets of waxed paper with a rolling pin.